Baby corn and Paneer Jalfrezi
Sauteed baby corn, paneer and capsicum.
- 10 to 12 nos baby corns (each cut into 2 or 4 lengthwise (depending on size of baby corn))
- 1 green capsicum (sliced long)
- 3/4 red capsicum (sliced long)
- 3/4 yellow capsicum (sliced long)
- 150 gms paneer cubes (Indian cottage cheese)
- 1 big onion or 2 medium sized ones (sliced long)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- a pinch of hing (asafoetida, optional)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp garam masala powder OR pav bhaji masala powder*
- 1 to mato – pureed
- 1 tbsp tetra pack tomato puree OR 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar – if adding ready tomato puree (ketchup gives a hint of sweetness to dish)
- 1 1/2 tsp kasuri methi
For paste or finely chopped/ crushed together
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger (peeled)
- 1-2 green chillies
- coriander leaves or spring onion greens
- chapathis (roomali roti, naan)
- Par boil or cook baby corns till 3/4 the done. May cook in a pressure cooker too. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a wide thick bottom pan. Add cumin & hing and crackle the cumin seeds. Add the sliced onions and saute till onions turn soft. Add the paste/ crushed/ finely chopped ginger-green chillies & stir for half a minute.
- Add all the three colored capsicums saute for a minute or two.
- Add the fresh tomato puree, turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala or pav bhaji masala powder, salt, ketchup or ready puree. Saute for 1 to 2 mins.
- Add baby corns, paneer cubes, kasuri methi. Toss gently.
- Add the garnish, mix lightly and garnish.