DAL FRY – BY NISHEL CUTINHA
A hearty & comforting meal, anytime and on any day! This is a meal I crave for often, especially after a cheat day, it is healthy & wholesome! Could not resist making the Thali for us as well after I received the pic from Nishel!
Few days I asked few friends for their favorite vegetarian recipes to be added under ‘FEATURED RECIPES’ , a new category under Prathi Ruchi. Immediately received quite a few images & recipes and picked Nishel`s contribution to start the series with. Delicious Dal fry with Karela (bitter gourd fry) served with boiled rice was her contribution. Check out the recipe and do try it out!
Thank you Nishel for this healthy veg thali! Looking forward for more such delicious recipes from you!
A popular North Indian dish.
- Wash dal well. Add required water (approx 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups), 1/8 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp oil and pressure cook for 3 whistles on medium. Let pressure release on its own. Then open and mix with whisk.
- In a pan heat oil or ghee. Add mustard, cumin, let splutter.
- Add onion and fry till light brown.
- Add ginger – garlic, green and red chillies, curry leaves. Fry for few seconds.
- Add tomato, fry till softens. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala, hing. Mix well.
- Add the mashed dal, salt, water as required for consistency. Simmer for 5-7 mins till thickens a bit. Consistency of dal fry is not very thin but slightly thicker. Add kasuri methi.
- Last add coriander leaves, lime juice, 1 tsp ghee & immediately switch off flame.
- Serve hot with rice or roti and some sauteed vegetable on the side.