Love like you`ll never be hurt,
Sing like there`s nobody listening,
And live like its heaven on earth.”
Not laden with heavy spices or cream, one can willingly accommodate this dish in their – comfort food menu or even a special occasion menu!
Cottage cheese in a creamy spinach sauce, a Punjabi dish!
- Spinach/Palak – 2 bunches
- Paneer/ Cottage cheese – 150 gms (cubed)
- Vegetable oil – 1 to 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds/ jeera – 1 tsp
- Onion – 1
- Tomatoes – 2 medium to big ones
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Kasuri methi/ dried fenugreek leaves – 1 tsp (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
To grind to a coarse paste
- Ginger – ½ “ piece
- Garlic – 4 to 5 cloves
- Green chillies – 2 to 3
- Wash the palak/ spinach leaves and steam them for 5 to 7 mins. Cool and blend to a puree.
- Chop the onions and tomatoes.
- Grind together the ingredients for the paste.
- Shallow fry the paneer cubes in few teaspoons oil till light brown. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, crackle cumin. Add onions and sauté till softened and translucent. Add the paste and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, sauté till softened. Add turmeric powder. Mix.
- Add the spinach puree, salt, kasuri methi, dash of water to adjust consistency. Simmer for 2 to 3 mins till well blended. Add the paneer cubes, garam masala. Mix and simmer for 2-3 mins.
- Serve hot with rotis, naan, phulkas.
You could add about ½ cup milk or 1-2 tbsp cream/ malai instead of water to adjust consistency of puree. This makes the dish even more creamier.
Adjust the quantity of green chillies as per the spice level desired.
You could add the kasuri methi along with spinach when you grind it to puree.
Do not fry the paneer for too long as it will turn rubbery. You could skip the frying stage and add soft paneer cubes instead.
In case paneer turns a bit chewy when fried, you could dip them in some salted water for few mins.Drain and add to gravy.
You could add a pinch of sugar if desired as you grind the spinach to retain its green color.
For Mushroom Palak :
Follow this Palak Paneer recipe to make Mushroom Palak.Wash mushrooms well and slice. Put them in boiling water for 3 to 5 mins. Drain. Then to the palak gravy instead of paneer.Skip the kasuri methi. Also add lightly pounded whole spices – 2 to 3 cloves, 1/2″ cinnamon, 2 to 3 green cardamoms
For Aloo Palak :
Follow this Palak Paneer recipe to make Aloo Palak/ Potatoes in spinach gravy.boil the potatoes, peel and chop into chunks.Then add to the palak gravy instead of paneer .Also add 1/2 tsp chilli powder,1/2 tsp coriander powder,1/2 tsp amchur powder along with garam masala powder.