- ‘Fortune cookies‘ served at the end of every Chinese meal were invented in America in the year 1916 by David Jung, an LA noodle manufacturer. The idea originated from the techniques ancient rebels used to exchange messages – print them on small pieces of paper and conceal them inside buns.
- Red chillies contain high amount of vitamin A & C. Green chillies contain considerably lower amount of both these substances. They are high in potassium, magnesium and iron.
- Mangoes are rich in vitamins A,B,C,E and K. Mangoes have excellent antioxidant properties which help fight cancer cells. It is also rich in iron.
- Some people of Myanmar (formerly Burma) are fond of pickled tea!
- Arleux in France is considered as the garlic capital of the world! It is known for its smoked garlic and still uses centuries old tradition to prepare it. Every year in December, a garlic festival is held wherein a garlic queen is chosen. She is then presented with her weight in garlic!
- The term ‘Augratin‘ is to cook food covered with sauce, sprinkled with cheese and baked till top is brown in an oven.
- Ragi, known as finger millet in English is a naturally pest resistant crop. So it is an eco friendly crop and grown completely without the use of pesticides.
- Dark chocolate has more cacao and sugar than other chocolates and so considered healthier than milk or white chocolates.
- That ice cream which is once melted should never be refrozen. Ice cream is an emulsion of water and fat. When it melts and refreezes the water molecules freeze into ice, instead of original emulsion. Thus, the refrozen ice cream contains ice crystals.
- A pineapple is neither an apple nor a pine. It is a large berry!
- Nachos, the Mexican dish, were invented in 1943 by a guy named ‘Ignacio Nacho Anaya’. The original nachos consisted of fried corn tortillas covered with melted cheddar cheese and sliced jalapeÃ±o peppers.
The crux of our way of life is to eat right, spend quality time with family and savour home-cooked meals and new cuisines with equal fervor. This very mindset, where traditions meet contemporaries, reflects in our website Prathi Ruchi.
On Prathi Ruchi find recipes that consider the essence and importance of healthy living. The reason being, good food and healthy living make life simpler and happier. Healthy living includes a healthy mind and a healthy body. Practicing healthy living is not at all a herculean task. Simple and small changes in your day to day life can go a long way in making life more beautiful and healthier!